There are sooo many recipes out there for banana bread. When I started messing around with this recipe, I knew I wanted to have a moist bread with a nice banana bread that wasn’t muddled by other spices.
I always have fruit around the house, but am someone who forgets that it’s there…even if it’s sitting in the fruit basket on the counter. Perhaps it’s my attempt to want to be healthy? More often than not, the fruit gets turned into some sort of dessert, such as quick breads, tarts, sauces…etc. It’s still healthy right? There’s fruit in it!
This recipe can be made by hand if you don’t have a stand mixer, making it accessible for everyone!
Can I mix it up?
Yes! This recipe is great as is, but is also very adaptable! You can easily turn it into muffins or spice it up with any variation that you can think of.
- Add some Nutella or peanut butter to the top of the batter and swirl it in using a skewer
- Fold in some chocolate chips, about 60 grams should be enough
- Chopped walnuts are a great option, if you’re craving banana nut
- Salted Butter Caramel drizzled on top of the batter and swirled in prior to baking
- Blueberries are also a good addition to the bread. I have used frozen and fresh, both successfully.
Does this bread freeze well?
Yes, it freezes surprisingly well. Be sure to wrap it in tinfoil and place in a large ziplock freezer bag. It keeps well for about 2 months. When you’re ready to eat it, just leave it out on the counter to thaw.
- loaf pan
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 113 g butter, melted
- 160 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 425 g banana, over riped & mashed
- 63 g sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease or line a bread pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and mix. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the sugar and melted butter. Mix briefly.
- Add in the eggs, sour cream, mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix briefly until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bread pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, prior to removing from the bread pan. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.